Saturday, October 31, 2009

Know your Medford City and School Councilor candidates - Candidate Primer

Special to the Medford GOP
Nick McNulty

In recent weeks, I have sent out feelers to the candidates for City Council reelection, of the 6 current councilors, Councilors Dello Russo, Marks, Camuso, Lungo and Muccini all got back to me, and I was able to speak to them about their personal positions on the issues. The recent creation of a new tax (the Medford meals tax, adopted by only 30 cities and towns in the Commonwealth) is easily my #1 issue as a fiscal conservative Republican, and our subsequent conversations reflected this. And in fairness to the Councilors, Mayor McGlynn was the main proponent of the meals tax creation, and he deliberately rushed the new tax into being with Rahm-Emmanuel like haste, before voters had a chance to be heard on the issue(such is the heavy handed behavior characteristic of entrenched, unopposed Democrat executive leadership)

I am still on the fence about my personal votes, although the five councilors above - by virtue of getting back to me promptly and in at least 2 instances, by virtue of further clarifying their positions to allaying my personal concerns with their voting records - are the frontrunners for my votes. I will also reach out to the challengers, but can pretty safely say anyone that supported creating a new tax on Medford's small business owners and consumers during a deep recession, and did not accept my invitation to qualify that vote(some, for instance, at least insisted on a sunset clause) will not receive my support. That's my principle; fiscal and personal accountability are two of my highest priorities in political representatives at all levels, to create a new tax in Medford and then choose not to respond to requests for comment adds up to two strikes for me, so those candidates are looking at an 0-2 count for my votes right now with one more swing to make before Tuesday.

But again, those are my personal views, I encourage all Medford voters to reach out to their City Council and School Committee candidates(all can be contacted through their campaign websites, incumbents through the Medford City Council web page) and illicit their thoughts on individual positions near and dear to each particular voter. To paraphrase Socrates, an unexamined vote is not worth casting.

Without further adieu, the candidates. Links to the candidates statements with excerpts are below, click through the links for full statements. Any ommissions are unintentional, and probably means I had a hard time tracking down the pages for individual candidates. Contact the Medford GOP with any corrections and/or ommissions, and I will remidiate;

City Council;

Michael Marks runs for re-election to Medford City Council

I have been a vocal and active member of the council successfully advocating for many issues important to our residents such as:

Offering the resolve which limited the number of months odd/even winter parking is in effect to alleviate parking congestion.

I led the charge to lower the age of eligibility for a senior property tax exemption from age 70 to 65 assisting those seniors who are on fixed incomes to stay in their homes.

My commitment to you is that I will continue to be your voice in city government and make myself accessible to all those who wish to be heard no matter how big or small the issue.


(Editor's note:Marks has also been fighting the apparently unbridled proliferation of Clear Channel billboards along I-93, and abstained from the vote that created the Medford meals tax of August, 2009)

Robert Maiocco announces candidacy for Medford City Council re-election

“My education, training and long experience in finance are invaluable to me in dealing with the city’s fiscal and tax issues,” he advised.

Maiocco listed some of the other major matters that he has always included in his council agenda:

· Additional parking spaces throughout the city, a new Medford Square garage.

· Cleanup of shopping areas and local streets.

· Provide fully for Medford’s public library needs.

· Give strong support to upgrading our schools, providing state-of-the-art educational facilities.

· Constant push for meeting the needs of our senior citizens, the handicapped and those in need. As a former member of the Council on Aging, I am aware of the special problems of our elders.

· Protect open space and historic sites and structures. Assure environmental preservation. Push for more safe bicycle and walking paths.

· Maintain a high level of public safety for all our people through adequate staffing and equipment for our fire and police departments. Increase traffic enforcement especially accident-prone intersections and busy crosswalks.

(Editor's Note: Maiocco abstained from the vote that created the Medford meals tax of August, 2009)

Stephanie Muccini Burke runs for re-election to Medford City Council seat

Having a masters in taxation from Bentley College, being a CPA and especially being a mother of three children, force me to be objective when analyzing the issues. I place great importance on my financial background and am always cognizant of the tax impact versus benefit when casting a vote.

I take great pride in being a lifetime resident of Medford (MHS Class of 1980). However, we are all here by choice because of the great offerings around us. We can brag of our rich heritage, being close to the Mystic/Fells and now Rivers Edge Park, pride in our schools and our wonderfully diverse neighborhoods.

If you would like to see more on the election, please visit www.youtube.com/CouncillorBurke for more information on Rivers Edge and my campaign


(Editor's Note: Burke voted in favor of the vote that created the Medford meals tax of August, 2009)

Paul Camuso runs for re-election to Medford City Council seat

My priorities include the following:

· An aggressive approach to increase state funding for municipal services. Reductions in local aide and increased assessments have cost us the revenue necessary to do many important projects.

We cannot let the state abandon local government. I will push hard for a restoration of state funding to fiscal year 2002 levels and a reduction of charter school assessments.

· Increased development of local business opportunities to provide jobs to local residents and strengthen our revenue base. We have several areas throughout the community that need more assistance and have the potential to yield greater results for employers, employees, and consumers.

We should be a thriving center of community activity and a destination point for knowledgeable consumers. Quality service vendors with good parking can be achieved with a strong commitment. The Medford Square revitalization project needs to be accelerated and supported.

· Environmental concerns cannot be overlooked. We must have a progressive approach to preserving our open spaces, parks, air, water supply, and visual appearance. We must develop our green energy capacities and encourage conservation wherever possible.


(Editor's Note: Camuso voted in favor of the vote that created the Medford meals tax of August, 2009)

City Council Candidate Frederick Dello Russo, Jr.

I want to continue to be a voice of reason as we tackle the complexities of the present economy. I will continue to work for the integrity of our neighborhoods, the delivery of dependable public services, mutual respect between business people and residents.

Throughout my years of involvement with the Green Line Project, I have sought to make this project good for our community and to foster a spirit of mutual respect so that citizen input could be heard. As the project reaches a significant point this November with responses to the Draft Environmental Impact Report, I will make sure that the betterment of Medford is a priority

(Editor's Note: Dello Russo voted in favor of the vote that created the Medford meals tax of August, 2009)

Breanna Lungo-Koehn, City Council Candidate

I have been a Medford City Councilor for almost eight years and am currently a candidate for my fifth term. I was born and raised in Medford. I attended St. Joseph’s School and Graduated from Medford High School in 1998. I got my undergraduate degree in Criminal Justice and Psychology from Endicott College in 2002. I then attended law school and obtained my Judicial Doctorate degree in 2006. I am currently at the end of my 3rd year as a practicing Attorney. I recently opened by own law firm in Wellington Circle, Medford, with my long time friend, Cathleen Collins, Esq. In 2007, I was married to my now husband David Koehn. We were offically married in my parents Gazebo on South Street, Medford. I am lucky to be raising my fourteen month old Daughter, Bayley, at our home on Massachusetts Ave, Medford. I tell you all this to show you that I am committed to the City of Medford, its residents, and its future.

(Editor's Note: Lungo-Koehn voted in favor of the vote that created the Medford meals tax of August, 2009)

City Council Candidate Robert Penta

I want to continue in my pursuit to enhance the:

- Professional Managed Medford Square Re-development
- Brooks Estate
- Chevalier Auditorium
- New West Medford Community Center
- Community attitudes of conservation
- Possibility of a satellite fire and police location at the State Police Building at Wellington Circle
- Traffic enforcement and an economic and beautification enhancement program for our city’s squares

I’m especially proud that both Councillor Stephanie Burke and myself were the leading city officials to have recognized all WWII Medford veterans at the new Veterans Memorial on Winthrop Street, whether they went to war from Medford or made Medford their home after the war, so as to receive the same equal honor and respect they deserve.

(Editor's Note: Penta abstained from the vote that created the Medford meals tax of August, 2009)

Brian Chamberlain seeking votes for Medford City Council

“By promoting strong and responsive communication with the people who elect me, I will always be there to stand up for citizens who work hard to earn their wages and make Medford their home.

“Citizens deserve the very best in their city, clean neighborhoods, parks and playgrounds with the most advanced public utilities. They deserve the best in protection from fire and to be free from crime. Receiving the best in public education for their children and their neighbor’s children, with the possibility of career training and job skills development for the youth of Medford as well as higher education. Exceptional, quality services for our senior citizens and their caregivers, and most of all, a representative on the council overseeing that Medford spends its hard earned revenue from the people, in the most effective ways for the people’s needs in Medford”.

Chamberlian holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Urban Studies from Worcester State College, as well as a certificate of paralegal studies from Assumption College. He has more than 20 years working in law enforcement/public safety presently working protective services for a large national institution.


Joseph Federico

“I’ve lived here all my life, 55 years, and live in one of the oldest houses in town,” Federico said. “No one can say that I am not familiar with Medford or what is going on here.”

“I really think it’s time we get the current council members out,” he said. “You watch the meetings on TV and it’s just the same old, same old. It needs to change.”

“For one thing, I think it would be a good idea to have each and every council member take the money they make for serving, pool it together and help the elderly people of Medford pay for medicine,” he said.

“I know a lot of the council members personally, and I can honestly say that they are not bad people,” he said. “But it is clear that they all have their own opinions that they try to push through, and there needs to be more agreement between the members.”


Mark Arena announces Medford City Council candidacy

By training and nature, I am a negotiator and a consensus builder. My candidacy has been endorsed by the 11,500 member Teamsters Local 25, the 3,300 member Ironworkers Local 7 and the 16,000 member SEIU Local 615, where I serve as an elected labor representative and contract negotiator at Tufts University.

As the mayor’s appointee to the Board of Directors of Medford Community Housing, Inc., an affordable housing non-profit, I serve as the elected vice president.

I will foster strong relationships and maintain open lines of communication with the city’s department heads responsible for the delivery of vital city services. My love for this city is rivaled only by my commitment to its progression.

My philosophy is simple and borrowed from a proud service organization, it is service above self.



School committee;

Medford School Committee Vice-Chairperson Ann Marie Cugno seeks re-election

In these last four years, I am proud to say, I am a co-founder and member of our newly formed Stand for Children Medford Chapter, a lobbying committee formed by parents working with other communities in our state in advocating more funding towards our educational system. I have worked on an anti-bullying bill with Rep. Paul Donato and former Sen. Jarrett Barrios.

I co-chaired with Rep. Carl Sciortino in a pilot program for Energy Smackdown, a project incorporating a reality contest between Arlington, Cambridge and Medford families, bringing energy awareness and education to the for front on carbon footprint.

I have been a member and teacher for the Medford Family Network and now working as a substitute teacher in a nearby community.


School Committee Candidate Bill Brady

I currently have two grandchildren in the Medford Public Schools and it is personally important to me that all children get the best education possible. I will ensure that you will have a strong voice in support of such key issues as:

•Safe and secure environment including strong substance abuse prevention and anti-bullying
•Low class size and a diversified curriculum to meet the needs of all learners
•Steady educational progress and accountability
•Early education opportunities and after-school programming
•Health education and services encouraging the development of the “whole child”
•Strong extra curricular programs free from user fees
•Support for special needs students and families
•Effective maintenance of school facilities
•Financial support of our school system and respect for our taxpayers
During this difficult economic period it is important to have budget management experience on the School Committee. We have kept our school system stable and progressive while other communities have faltered. I want to help keep the Medford Schools on track both financially and educationally.


School Committee Candidate Lena DiGiantommaso

In the past, as well as recently, I have served as Vice Chairperson and Secretary of the School Committee as well as Chairperson of many other committees

- Served as President of the Lincoln, Kennedy and Hancock P.T.A
- Former President of the MHS Band Parents Association
- Former President of the Friends of the Chevalier Auditorium and Gene Mack Youth Center

Some awards I have received are:

- Women’s Achievement Award by the Human Rights Commission
- Golden Mustang Award for supporting the Mustang athletes programs and students
- Mass Association of School Committee Lifetime Achievement Award
- With my 100% attendance at all School Committee meetings for 20 years, I feel I have the wisdom and experience to continue to serve the citizens of Medford
- Committed to educational opportunities for all students

Years of service on the School Committee 1981-2009

School Committee Candidate Paulette Van der Kloot

My name is Paulette Van der Kloot and it has been my great honor to serve on the Medford School Committee for 20 years. In that time, not only have I seen my own children grow, graduate from Medford High, attend college, and enter the adult world, I have also watched your children grow as well. In fact, at my workplace, I am blessed to have as my colleagues, some of the very students I handed diplomas. For me, graduation is the greatest and also the most grounding experience. What an awesome reminder of the importance of our job. Have we served each student well? Have we taught them the skills they need to succeed in college, the workplace, perhaps the military and beyond?

This is what I want for all our children: to be prepared, to be learners, to be ready to whether tough times, to be healthy, to be competent and to be confident. To be flexible and able to adapt to changing times, to be able to work well with others, to be respected and to be respectful of others

Larry Brown, School Committee Candidate

I’m excited to actively seek out parents’, teachers’, students’ and administrators’ input on a regular basis rather than react to items brought before the Committee. All issues, from ensuring we maximize every possible dollar of grant money, to thinking creatively about alternative funding sources, to forming subcommittees related to curriculum, school safety, classroom size, and professional development must be explored in detail, with all voices heard, in order to make the most informed and appropriate decisions. As a goal, I seek nothing less than to have the Medford Public Schools become the envy of public education in the Commonwealth. We have a great deal to be proud of–from impressive advanced placement completions, to improving MCAS scores, to placement in some of the finest colleges in America (to a successful football season!)–but there is much work to do. If elected, I will work tirelessly on our students’ behalf to ensure they are well prepared for a successful future in the twenty first century. I look forward to serving the students, parents, and taxpayers of Medford.

Bill O’Keefe, School Committee Candidate

In these tight fiscal times, we need Medford School Committee members that can advocate for programs, can meet with parents in the school yard, in the playground, and online with technology. We need members that can lobby our State House delegates and assist them with bills and research and provide a pulse for this community as being a watchdog for all children. We need school committee people that will stop talking about yesterday and begin talking about tomorrow. We can do better.

As a Federal Stimulus money arrives from Washington, we need school committee leaders that understand what policies, regulations, and laws are impacted by this resource. Over 1.7 million is allocated towards Special Education in Medford. How we can maximize this money as it balances against the Federal and State Circuit Breaker cuts and the Chapter 70 Cherry Sheet? We must do better.

John Falco, School Committee Candidate

My involvement in my children’s education convinces me that Medford has a good school system and one I want to support as a school committee member. At the same time, I know our children require the school committee’s diligence to sustain and enhance our school system. I consider my professional and personal experiences as ideal qualifications that will focus my service on the school committee, our children and their families.

My vision and goals are practical. I am fully cognizant that the next several years will pose unavoidable financial challenges for our city and its school system. We have already suffered a reduction in local aid and inequitable distribution of Chapter 70 funds. I share the same concerns that other parents have about the future of our schools. I, too, am concerned about larger class sizes, reductions in our teaching and professional staff, maintenance of our facilities, and safety in our schools

Robert E. Skerry Jr. runs for Medford School Committee re-election

“Education is the cornerstone of a prosperous community. In Medford, I will place the highest priority on giving our young citizens every chance to achieve their dreams. My school board experience through good times and bad provides the perspective and skill to fix problems, overcome bureaucratic obstacles, and further the successes students achieve. An education attained in our schools permits our youngsters to compete socially, civically, and successfully in our 21st century global economy.

“The school budget is the foundation upon which successful educational outcomes are built. Across the nation, financial failings are registered daily, but we in Medford are working hard to ensure that the hard earned dollars of Medford’s taxpayers are put to best use and that sound programs and class size limits in place are enforced.

“I scrutinize expenditures to assure school funds are used prudently on behalf of and benefit our students in a timely fashion.



Sharon Guzik, School Committee Candidate

Every parent knows that our children differ in their abilities, in learning styles, and in their work pace. As a member of the school committee, I will be proactive in supporting our teachers with the professional development and resources they need to better individualize the curriculum for their students.

These are very difficult economic times and we are all aware of the severe cuts to our budget this year and undoubtedly over the next few years. We will need to be creative about how we can meet the needs of our schools and our students. For example, encouraging collaboration between teachers within schools and between schools and pooling our material and intellectual resources. Also, when we look at the budget, we need to keep our priorities clearly in focus and be advocates for our children and our schools. As a parent, I will be a voice for all our children as well as an ear for parents and the community.


Chris Murphy, School Committee Candidate

After going to my first school committee meeting when I was a freshman I told myself this is what I will do when the time comes. I wanted the best educational experience for the students that would come after me in the Medford School System. After the last city election I decided that this was something I was going to do in my life and I was not waiting any longer to do it.

The new goals for education have been centered on “education for the 21st century” and I am a student of the 21st century. I have lived through No Child Left Behind. I have taken the MCAS, not just heard reports on it. I have experienced first hand Title 1 and Special Education having been in those programs throughout my time in Medford Public Schools. I am a young voice who can understand the needs of today’s students and can serve as an advocate for them. I have experience in budgeting and policy making which I will bring to the table. I can promise the parents, tax payers and most importantly the students of Medford that I will work tirelessly as a representative for them as a member of the Medford School Committee.


George Scarpelli, School Committee Candidate

I’m running for School Committee because I believe we can, and must, do more to take advantage of the resources we possess to improve our educational system in an era of fiscal austerity. I want to stand up for our schools by advocating for new sources of revenue and best management practices. Here are just a few of the practical steps we can take to enhance the quality of public education in Medford:

- Seek expanded grant funding, the use of community collaboratives, and alternative funding, as a way of enhancing programs without the use of more tax dollars;
- Increase business partnerships and draw on the expertise of local businesses as a way to expand programs and increase students, early childhood and adult recreational opportunities, without incurring additional expense to our municipal budget.
- Expand our higher educational partnerships with Tufts University, and other local Colleges and Universities.
- Mount an aggressive lobbying campaign to convince our state legislature to come up with a fairer and more equitable formula to distribute Chapter 70 education funds.

No comments: