Monday, February 15, 2010

Would the last centrist Democrat leaving the party please get the lights....

Bayh Decides Against Re-election Bid



“After all these years, my passion for service to my fellow citizens is undiminished, but my desire to do so in Congress has waned,” Mr. Bayh plans to say in his remarks. “My decision was not motivated by political concern. Even in the current challenging environment, I am confident in my prospects for re-election.”

Mr. Bayh had been growing increasingly discontent with the Senate, an associate said, and told some advisers in 2006, when he briefly explored a presidential bid, that he did not know whether he would seek re-election to the Senate. He was seen by some fellow Democrats as someone who was not very active in the chamber on a daily basis. He often popped in for votes and was quickly gone, only occasionally giving floor speeches. He was also known to make time for the school and sports events of his children. In the past two years, he has been focused on budget and fiscal issues and frustrated some of his colleagues by balking at the Democratic budget proposals.

Full story

No comments: