Wednesday, November 5, 2008

McCain gives concession speech



Phoenix, Arizona - Sen. John McCain conceded what he called "an historic election" to rival Barack Obama late Tuesday night.

McCain congratulated Obama "on being elected president of the country we both love."

"I recognize the special significance it has for African-Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight," McCain said. "We both recognize we've come a long way from the old injustices that once stained our nation's reputation."

"Let there be no reason now for any American to fail to cherish their citizenship in this, the greatest nation on earth," he added.

McCain acknowledged a personal tragedy for Obama, who lost his grandmother the day before the election.

"Obama has achieved a great thing for himself and his country. I applaud him for it and offer my sincere sympathy that his grandmother did not live to see this day."

As for the road ahead, McCain said, "These are difficult times for our country. I pledge to him tonight to do all that is in my power to help him lead us in the many challenges we will face. I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together."

"Whatever our differences, we're fellow Americans. Please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that."

He encouraged his supporters to stay positive. "It is natural tonight to feel some disappointment but tomorrow we must move beyond it and get our country moving again. We fought as hard as we could and though we fell short the failure is mine, not yours."

"I am so deeply grateful for all of you for the great honor of your support and for all you've done for me."

No comments: